You just know that when Samsung gives something the "9 series" badge, it's got to be a cut above the rest. Case in point: the 13.3-inch 9 series notebook which is out to challenge the Apple MacBook Air's title as the leanest and meanest.
Equipped with many of the same niceties that made the Air the "oooh-ahhh" gadget that it is, the 9 series takes things up a notch by making use of a Core i5 – and not a previous-gen Core 2 Duo – processor, 4GB of RAM, built-in USB 3.0, and a Wimax card.
- CPU: Second Generation Intel® CoreTM i5 Processor 2537M (1.40 GHz, 3MB; turbo up to 2.3 GHz)
- Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 bit) / Windows® 7 Professional (64 bit)
- Memory: 4GB DDR3
- Storage (max): 128GB Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Screen: 13.3-inch HD LED-backlit SuperBright Plus display (400 nit)
- Resolution: 1366x768
- Graphics: Intel HD GT2 Integrated Graphics
- Speakers: 3 watt (1.5W x 2) stereo speakers and 1.5 watt sub-woofer
- Battery: Lithium Polymer; up to 6.5 hours
- Wireless: 802.11b/g/n; WiMaxi
- Weight: 2.89 lbs
Nice specs, and we have no doubt it'll attract a geek or 2. But the real battle takes place on the design front; the 9 series weighs 4.5g lighter and measures 1mm thinner than its counterpart, officially making it, as the expression goes, thinner and lighter than air.
The release of this dainty-looking daunter? Next month in the US for $1,600 (about P72,000). If that price is to be followed, the 9 series will fall between the 2 13-inch Airs.
- 13-inch MacBook Air blows away MacBook Pro counterpart in benchmark tests
- MacBook Air exhales 2 more hours of battery life without Flash installed
- How we ended up with a P44,000 11-inch MacBook Air in Singapore
- Toshiba cuts blade-type SSDs loose